The information you provide to us through the Site, by telephone (as part of any discussions with our customer service teams or otherwise with us) and/or which you otherwise provided to us through other means from time to time will initially be collected by the Company but may then be shared with other companies in the Yamaha group of companies (“Yamaha Group”). All references to “the Company”, “we” and “our” in this Policy therefore include the Group, unless distinguished in the text. Depending upon your relationship with the Company, we may separately provide you with further details about our use of your personal information.
What type of information does the Company collect and why?
When you visit our Site, we may automatically collect standard internet and website log information and details of patterns about how website visitors behave. The information we may collect, including but not limited to:
- information about your Internet service provider;
- your operating system;
- browser type;
- domain name;
- the Internet protocol (IP) address of your computer (or other electronic Internet-enabled device);
- your access times;
- the website that referred you to us; and
- the Web pages you request and the date and time of those requests.
The Site allows you to interact with the Company in many ways, including but not limited to:
- contacting us by phone or by using the ‘send a message to us’ facility;
- subscribing to our newsletter to get the latest information about the Company’s brand new instruments, special events and exclusive offers;
- creating a customer account (allowing you to confirm your marketing preferences to purchase our instruments and/or services, move through the checkout process more quickly, store multiple shipping addresses and view and track your orders); and/or
- submitting a suggestion as to how our Site could be improved.
What type of personal information does the Company collect?
Where you choose to provide personal details to us, whether through the Site or otherwise, we may collect the following personal information from you:
- details of your visits to the Site, which may include traffic data and location data;
- the reason for your contact, which may be an enquiry or a request;
- information that you provide when you make a purchase, which may include your name, address, telephone number, email address, gender or credit card information, when you register/set up an account, when you request a newsletter or exclusive offers via email, request to receive communications or when you participate in any other service (including when you take part in a prize draw or competition);
- your contact and marketing preferences;
- if you take a survey or interact with us in various other ways - demographics information and information about subjects that may interest you;
- information necessary for legal compliance; and/or
- if you publicly post about us, or communicate directly with us, on a social media website, we may collect and process the data contained in such posts or in your public profile for the purpose of addressing any customer services requests you may have.
How does the Company use information about you?
The Company may use information about you for purposes described in this Policy or as otherwise disclosed to you on our Site, by telephone when you speak to our teams, or with our services. For example, we may use information about you for the following purposes:
- to respond and/or deal with your request or enquiry;
- to process and administer your order(s) or purchase(s) of our products;
- to improve our products and to ensure that our content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer (or other electronic Internet-enabled device);
- to administer the Site;
- for internal record keeping;
- to contact you by e-mail or phone for any of the above reasons;
- subject to your consent, to carry out direct marketing and/or e-mail marketing that you have requested;
- to notify you of changes in information and updates concerning our products and services;
- to contact you to ask you to participate in a survey; participation is entirely voluntary and the user has the choice of whether or not to disclose any information that may be requested;
- where necessary as part of any restructuring of the Group;
- to perform any contract the Company has with you; and
- for compliance with legal, regulatory and other good governance obligations.
In most cases, the information the Company processes about you is required to deal with the purpose for which you have specifically submitted them, such as the execution of your purchase order, participation in a contest, receiving information, responding to your enquiry, as required by law or is necessary for the exercise of the Company’s legitimate business interests and needs.
The Company may also convert personal information into anonymous data and use it (normally on an aggregated statistical basis) for research and analysis to improve Company performance. In addition, the Company may use pixels or transparent GIF files, to help manage online advertising. Any information that we collect and share is anonymous and not personally identifiable.
Does the Company share personal information with third parties?
Your personal information will be made available for the purposes mentioned above (or as otherwise notified to you from time to time), on a ‘need-to-know’ basis and only to responsible management, accounting, legal, logistics, audit, compliance, information technology and other corporate staff who properly need to know these details for their functions within the Company. Please note that certain individuals who will see your personal information may not be based at the Company or in your country (please see below).
Sharing information with the Yamaha Group
We may share personal information within the Group as needed for reasonable management, analysis, planning and decision making, including in relation to taking decisions regarding the expansion and promotion of our product and service offering, order or customer request fulfilment and for use by those companies for the other purposes described in this Policy.
Sharing information with third parties processors
Your personal information may also be made available to third parties (within or outside the Company) providing relevant services under contract to the Company, or the Group (see below for further details), such as delivery agents, shipping companies, marketing agencies, customer service companies, credit card processors, auditors and compliance managers, providers of call centres and IT hosting and IT maintenance providers. These companies may use information about you to perform their functions on our behalf.
The Site includes links to third party websites and some of your personal information from your browsing session may be transferred to such third party websites (please see our Cookies Policy for more information).
We will not sell your personal information to any third party other than as part of any restructuring of the Company or Group or sale of a relevant Group business.
Will your personal information be transferred abroad?
Some transfers of personal information to third party recipients have been explained above. Individuals within the European Economic Area (“EEA”) should be aware that such recipients of their personal information, within the Group or third parties (as set out in this notice), may not be located within the EEA but instead located in countries which do not have equivalent protection for personal information to that within the EEA. Steps will be taken to protect your personal information in that instance consistent with applicable law. Some transfers of personal information to third party recipients have been explained above. Individuals within the European Economic Area (“EEA”) should be aware that such recipients of their personal information, within the Group or third parties (as set out in this notice), may not be located within the EEA but instead located in countries which do not have equivalent protection for personal information to that within the EEA. Steps will be taken to protect your personal information in that instance consistent with applicable law. We may also transfer your personal information outside of the EEA to the other members of the Yamaha Group including Yamaha Corporation Japan and Yamaha Music Europe GmbH to assist us in addressing and/or resolving specific product or service issues you have raised with us, where we have been unable to identify the appropriate solution from within the UK.
What choices does the Company offer you with regard to direct marketing?
The Company may wish to provide you with information about new products, services, promotions and offers, which may be of interest to you and may invite you to take part in market research or request feedback on our products and services and the Company’s products and services. This communication may occur by e-mail, telephone, post or SMS. We will obtain your consent and advise you of how to opt-out of receiving such communications where we are required to do so in accordance with applicable law. You may opt-out of direct marketing activities by emailing email@example.com, or writing to Customer Services, Yamaha Music London, 152-160 Wardour Street, London W1F 8YA.
What safeguards are in place to protect your personal information?
We use a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information. Your personal information is processed, stored and protected by firewalls and intrusion detection systems, plus industry standard full 128bit SSL encryption and a secure certificate from Verisign. Nevertheless, whilst we take efforts to safeguard your personal information which are consistent with relevant laws, the nature of the internet is such that we cannot guarantee absolutely the security of any personal information you disclose online.
What rights do you have to review and amend personal information?
You have the right to review your personal information held by the Company (including any profiling information) and have certain inaccurate information about you corrected. Under UK law, a request for access to your personal data needs to be in writing and accompanied by the statutory fee (£10).
If you wish to do so, or to contact the Company in respect of its data processing activities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or writing to Customer Services, Yamaha Music London, 152-160 Wardour Street, London W1F 8YA.
Keeping you informed
We will keep your details on record until we have completely dealt with your request, enquiry or application and then for a reasonable period afterwards, in accordance with data protection and other applicable legislation.
The Company may keep your details on record for as long as is necessary for the purposes set out above and will then endeavour to delete your details in accordance with data protection and other applicable legislation.
Changes to this Policy
We keep this Policy under regular review. We may change this Policy from time to time by updating this page in order to reflect changes in the law and/or our privacy practices. The date at the top of this Policy will be updated accordingly.
We encourage you to check the date of this Policy when you visit the Site for any updates or changes. We will notify you of any modified versions of this Policy that might materially affect the way we use or disclose your personal information.
By using our Site, submitting your personal information to us and/or registering an account, you consent to the use of your personal information as described in this Policy (as amended from time to time).
This Policy only extends to the personal information processed by us and does not, therefore, extend to your use of, provision of data to and collection of data on any website not connected to us to which you may link by using the hypertext links within this website.
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us at: email@example.com, or by writing to Customer Services, Yamaha Music London, 152-160 Wardour Street, London W1F 8YA.