Sound is the most important part of any musical instrument. Our CP88 stage piano features a wide range of grand piano, upright piano, electric piano and keyboard sounds for playing any music genre.
Yamaha Premium Acoustic Grand Pianos
The CP88 features three premium concert grand pianos: the Yamaha CFX, Yamaha S700 and the Bösendorfer Imperial 290. These pianos provide full dynamic expression and nuance through meticulous recording and voicing.
- The result of over 17 years of development, the Yamaha CFX is our flagship 9’ concert grand piano. The CFX offers sparkling highs, powerful bass with incredible dynamic range and the strength to project over a full symphony orchestra.
- Bösendorfer is unique amongst piano makers as the only manufacturer in the world still utilising the Viennese handcrafted design tradition. This produces warm bass, singing treble and rich tonal colours known as the 'Viennese Sound'. The 9.5’ 8-octave Imperial 290 is the flagship of the Bösendorfer range. The extended bass notes resonate with every key you strike, and the massive soundboard supports projection at all frequencies.
- The S700 is a handcrafted acoustic grand piano built by our master artisans. It has the power to cut through dense arrangements while remaining delicate and expressive in solo and sparse settings.
Yamaha Acoustic Upright Pianos
- The U1 is the most popular upright piano in the world. The CP88's U1 voice features a vintage, well-used character. This makes it perfect for any music needing the vibe and sound of an authentic upright piano.
- The SU7 is our flagship acoustic upright piano. The SU7 delivers rich, resonant tone from shared CFX concert grand hammer specification.
Electric Pianos & Keyboards
- Yamaha introduced the CP80 and CP70 electric grand pianos in 1978 to give musicians great grand piano sound that could cut through a live band. The CP80 sound on the CP88 is powerful and fat with a wide dynamic range.
- The 78 Rd tine electric piano voice has wide dynamic range, high quality and is great for FX. Suitable for all genres of music.
- 75 Rd has a dirtier, funkier tine electric piano sound, great for music requiring vibe and character.
- 73 Rd has a vintage, fat and warm tine electric piano sound perfect for ballads and accompanying singers.
- The Wr reed electric piano Voice offers vintage and modern versions with wide dynamic range.
Organs, Clavi and Keyboards: CP88 also features a wide range of other keyboard sounds including: tonewheel, transistor and pipe organs plus clavi, FM pianos and more to cover any playing situation.
Synths, Strings and more
CP88 features synth sounds for covering any gig or session. Split, layer or solo warm pads, lush strings, deep synth basses, synth leads, brass and more. The one-to-one CP control interface allows real-time interaction for instant sound creation.
CP88 features an extensive, integrated effects section for creating your own, unique sound. Each of the three sections (Piano section, Electric piano section and Sub section) features dedicated effects. There are also master effects with delay, reverb and master EQ with dedicated controls for easy, real-time tweaking.
VCM (Virtual Circuity Modelling) Effects
Virtual Circuitry Modeling re-creates the sound and behaviour of vintage effects and high-end studio signal processors by modelling the circuits down to the original analog component level.
The feel of an instrument allows a musician to conveys his or her message. Designed with our knowledge and experience of over a century of piano-making, the NW-GH3 keyboard of the CP88 is an 88-key Natural Wood, Graded Hammer, triple sensor action with synthetic ebony and ivory key tops – the fastest stage piano action.
Natural Wood keys offer the weight and response you expect as a pianist. By 'grading' the weight of each key, the CP88 reproduces the feel of a piano's hammers - heavier in the low-end and lighter in the high-end.
Synthetic ebony and ivory key tops are lightly porous, helping the keys to maintain an ideal level of grip - and therefore helping to maintain accuracy during long performances or practise sessions.
An intricate internal sensor system allows for grand piano-like key repetition where notes can be re-articulated without a complete release. This makes it easier to play fast, repeated notes (and is one of the main reasons professional pianists choose grand pianos over uprights).
The CP88 is designed to withstand the rigours of the road whilst still being among the lightest and most compact instruments in its class. It weighs just 18.6kg (41 pounds).
With its one-to-one interface, the CP88 gives you direct, immediate and total control of your sound during stage or studio performance. There’s no programming, menu-diving or web-searching with CP. The intuitive CP interface allows fast and easy splits, layers and sound-shaping directly from the front panel.
The CP88 can connect and integrate into your home studio or live rig with its onboard USB MIDI and audio connectivity, along with both jack and XLR audio outputs.